How (and why!) to Shop the Co-op—Getting the Best Value For Your Food Dollars

how-to-shop-co-op

By Robin Seydel

My mother always said, “you get what you pay for.” Passing decades have seen an erosion of that understanding and a fascination with all things “cheap.” Not only “cheap” food, but cheap oil, cheap clothes, cheap everything. The resulting economic (rural decline and outsourcing of jobs), environmental (pollution from particulate to pesticidal ) and public health problems (cancer, diabetes, obesity and heart disease) are making the true cost of “cheap” ever so clear. Despite societal attitudes and slick corporate marketing that in many cases would have us believe the opposite, it’s clear that Mom was and is still right. Read More

Chipotle Almond Truffles

Chipotle-Almond-Truffles

CHIPOTLE ALMOND TRUFFLES

Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes

Serving Size: 12 (makes 38 truffles)

From Adrienne Weiss

These creamy truffles have a subtle, smoky bite from the chipotle powder. If a more fiery chocolate is desired, add up to 1/2 teaspoon additional chipotle powder. Regular chili powder can be used as well.

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons agave
  • 12 ounces bitter sweet chocolate, shaved or very finely chopped. (Chocolate chips work well also. Use 1-10 ounce package plus 2 additional ounces or 1/4 cup.)
  • 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup ground almonds

Instructions

1. Combine almond milk, vanilla extract, chili powder and agave in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
  2. Place chocolate in a large bowl and pour hot milk mixture over contents. Stir with a rubber spatula until all the chocolate is melted and smooth. If some hard pieces remain, put bowl over a pot of very hot water, being careful not to get any water in the chocolate mixture. Continue stirring until completely melted and smooth.
  3. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until firm, but not hard. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  4. Using a melon baller, scoop out balls and roll between palms until even and smooth.
  5. Scatter cocoa powder and ground almonds on 2 separate plates. Roll half the truffles in cocoa powder, the other half in almonds.
  6. Arrange on serving platter or individual plates and serve immediately. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
http://lamontanita.coop/chipotle-almond-truffles/

Veteran Farmer Project Update: Moving the Farm and Upcoming Classes

vet_farmer

By Robin Seydel

Our Thanks!

As many of you have noted, we have packed up and are in the process of moving our farm. We had three wonderful years downtown between Gold and Silver and 1st and 2nd Streets thanks to our good friends, Rick Renne and all the staff at the Downtown Action Team. In large part, the success of this project is thanks to their ongoing support, and I know I speak for all our participants when I express my deepest heartfelt thanks. Read More

The La Montanita Fund: Local Investing Provides Capital for Food System Growth

Farmer

By Robin Seydel

In 2015, the La Montanita Fund marks its fourth year of operation. Over the years, we have climbed up our steep learning curve, and what an exciting hike it’s been! Starting out, we had no idea what it would take to manifest our concept of a grassroots, local investing and micro loan cooperative. I often think that had we known what it would take we might have been far more trepidacious! As it was, we dove in the deep end, so to speak, and now, four years later, we are glad we did. Read More

The MANY Benefits of Buying Bulk

JamesInBulk

By Robin Seydel

If anything symbolizes the various benefits of the Co-op shopping experience, it’s the bulk department. While most chain stores now sell a few things in bulk, it was the wave of co-op’s formed in the late 1960s and ‘70s that brought buying in bulk to consumers. La Montanita carries over 250 bulk items, and this month, just after the holidays, saving money and eating healthier are just two of the many reasons to shop the bulk department that come immediately to mind. Read More