Fresh Sales

Great savings on organic produce, available to all our customers. New Fresh Sales are available every Wednesday — see what terrific organic produce is on sale now!

Have a Field Day Every Day!

Haven’t tried a Field Day product, yet? It’s La Montañita’s organic, natural and GMO-free value-product line.

As part of our Co+op Basics special-pricing program (look for the purple and white signs), we carry over 80 Field Day lines at everyday low prices store-wide at all your neighborhood La Montañita locations.

Stop by today, and pick up some Field Day that’s designed to fit YOUR budget.

To learn more about Field Day and their extensive selection of products, visit their website: http://www.fielddayproducts.com/

Marshall Kovitz

Our beloved founding owner and Board Member passed away peacefully on Saturday, March 26. We are deeply indebted to Marshall for his unwavering guidance, loyalty and dedication to La Montañita for the past 40 years in all aspects of the Co-op, especially with governance issues. Marshall truly embodied the cooperative spirit and was an inspiration to us all. He will be greatly missed.

Savory Cabbage & Apple Crêpes

Savory-Cabbage-and-Apple-Crepes-1

Print Recipe
This gluten-free crêpe recipe works just as well as the original wheat version. If you'd like to make dessert crêpes, you can leave out the lemon juice, lemon rind and thyme. The cabbage and apple combination makes for a great, quick crêpe filling full of healthy fiber. It can make a simple, elegant dinner, yet can also be a tasty, kid-friendly meal.
Servings
24 crêpes
Cook Time
60 minutes
Servings
24 crêpes
Cook Time
60 minutes
Print Recipe
This gluten-free crêpe recipe works just as well as the original wheat version. If you'd like to make dessert crêpes, you can leave out the lemon juice, lemon rind and thyme. The cabbage and apple combination makes for a great, quick crêpe filling full of healthy fiber. It can make a simple, elegant dinner, yet can also be a tasty, kid-friendly meal.
Servings
24 crêpes
Cook Time
60 minutes
Servings
24 crêpes
Cook Time
60 minutes
Ingredients
Gluten-Free Crêpe
Savory Cabbage & Apple Filling
Servings: crêpes
Instructions
Gluten-Free Crêpe
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the eggs and almond milk and beat with a hand beater until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. You can also use a blender for this, working in batches.
  2. Lightly grease a 6-8 inch non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat until the skillet is warmed through. For each crêpe, pour ¼ cup of batter into center of skillet and immediately swirl the skillet until the batter spreads and forms a thin film. When the edges of the crêpe solidify and begin to turn light brown underneath (after about 1-2 minutes), flip the crêpe over with a wide spatula and cook the other side until light brown (about 1 minute).
  3. Remove to a large plate and stack crêpes with waxed paper between layers. Best used fresh and warm, but can be stored in the refrigerator with waxed paper between layers in a tightly sealed container for 2 days.
Savory Cabbage & Apple Filling
  1. In a large nonstick skillet, sauté the onions on medium low for ten minutes. (Add a few teaspoons of water if they start to stick.) Add the cabbage, maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. Cover and sauté on low for 25 minutes. In a separate skillet (unless you don’t mind your apples turning purple!), melt one tablespoon of butter and sauté the apples and lemon juice for about 15 minutes. Combine cabbage, onions and apples to fill crêpes and serve.
Share this Recipe

Require GMO Labeling

By U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich

Like parents across New Mexico, knowing what’s in the food I buy for my family is important to me. This is one of the main reasons why I think it’s so important that Congress act to require products sold in grocery stores to be clearly labeled if they are genetically modified. Providing transparency to consumers will ensure they are able to make informed decisions about the food they purchase.

The federal government requires labeling of concentrated orange juice, after all.  Doesn’t everyone have the right to know what’s in their food?

I have cosponsored the Biotechnology Food Labeling Uniformity Act to make sure consumers can find genetically modified organism (GMO) ingredient labeling on food packaging. The legislation presents an alternative to a Senate Agriculture Committee bill being debated on the floor this week that would prohibit states from implementing GMO labeling laws.

A commitment to strengthen our agriculture industry also requires a commitment to our consumers, which is why we need a uniform federal GMO labeling standard.

Americans deserve to know exactly what’s in the food they purchase at the grocery store. I will continue to fight for clear and accurate labeling of food products so we can all make more informed decisions about the foods we are feeding our families.

Listening to the needs and voices of all constituents is key to building a better New Mexico. I encourage you to share your comments, suggestions, and questions. Please contact me any time I can be of assistance to you and your family.

Warm Roasted Beet Salad

Warm-Roasted-Beet-Salad

Warm Roasted Beet Salad
Print Recipe
This is a wonderful warming salad, great for reminding us of the upcoming tastes of spring.
Servings Prep Time
4 people 15 minutes
Cook Time
1–2 hours
Servings Prep Time
4 people 15 minutes
Cook Time
1–2 hours
Warm Roasted Beet Salad
Print Recipe
This is a wonderful warming salad, great for reminding us of the upcoming tastes of spring.
Servings Prep Time
4 people 15 minutes
Cook Time
1–2 hours
Servings Prep Time
4 people 15 minutes
Cook Time
1–2 hours
Ingredients
Servings: people
Instructions
  1. Coat the chopped beats with a bit of oil and the balsamic vinegar and place in a roasting pan. Roast in the oven at 300° F for 1–2 hours until they are just soft when pierced with a sharp knife. (the total cooking time will vary depending on the size of the beet pieces). Meanwhile, place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse it well under running water. Then place the quinoa and the 1/2 cup of water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a strong simmer and simmer covered until all the water is absorbed and the grains have burst open, about 15–20 minutes. Keep an eye on it in case you need to add a bit more water toward the end.
  2. Combine the warm roasted beets, quinoa, and beet greens, and serve with a garnish of chopped pecans. The greens will wilt slightly in the warmth of the beets and quinoa. The chopped stems of the leaves will provide a pleasing crunch.
Recipe Notes

If you are making this ahead of time, you can combine the roasted beets, cooked quinoa and the fresh beet greens and gently warm through in a casserole in the oven shortly before serving.

Share this Recipe

Treat Your Sweetheart

Enjoy nothing but the best this Valentine’s Day with 100% Grass-Fed Filet Mignon wrapped in deliciously thick cut hickory smoked Beeler’ Bacon.