By Robin Seydel
In 2015, the La Montanita Fund marks its fourth year of operation. Over the years, we have climbed up our steep learning curve, and what an exciting hike it’s been! Starting out, we had no idea what it would take to manifest our concept of a grassroots, local investing and micro loan cooperative. I often think that had we known what it would take we might have been far more trepidacious! As it was, we dove in the deep end, so to speak, and now, four years later, we are glad we did. Read More
By Robin Seydel
If anything symbolizes the various benefits of the Co-op shopping experience, it’s the bulk department. While most chain stores now sell a few things in bulk, it was the wave of co-op’s formed in the late 1960s and ‘70s that brought buying in bulk to consumers. La Montanita carries over 250 bulk items, and this month, just after the holidays, saving money and eating healthier are just two of the many reasons to shop the bulk department that come immediately to mind. Read More
From Annemarie Colbin
This hearty soup made with an assortment of mushrooms, such as crimini, porcini, maitake and shiitake, is a rich, earthy take on traditional "Old World Polish Mushroom Soup." It is a wonderful addition to any meal.
- 1 cup vegetable trimmings (onions, carrots, celery, cabbage leaves, parsley, etc.)
- 6 1/2 cups water
- (Or, if you wish, you may prepare vegetable stock using Vegetable Broth Powder and water.)
- 6 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 pounds of assorted mushrooms of choice
- 1/2 ounce dried organic shiitake mushrooms (ground into fine powder)
- 1 bunch scallions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce to taste
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- Place the vegetable trimmings and water in a 2 quart pot; bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain the stock, pressing all the liquid from the vegetable trimmings; return to pot.
- Heat the stock over medium heat.
- Rinse and chop the mushrooms and add to the stock.
- Add shiitake powder to stock.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
By Miya King-Flaherty, NDI
National Dance Institute New Mexico’s (NDI-NM) mission is focused on education, health, and wellness through dance. We believe that in everything we do, we want to be excellent and have lots of energy! NDI New Mexico was founded with the knowledge that the arts have a unique power to engage and motivate children. The purpose of our distinctive programs is to help children develop discipline, a standard of excellence, and a belief in themselves that will carry over into all aspects of their lives. Our work is guided by our belief in children, as well as our commitment to social responsibility, excellence, sustainability and financial integrity. Read More
By Sally Fallon, edited by Iginia Broccalandro
We all know that our food system is broken. The question is: how do we solve the mess? Clearly, attempts to change the opinions of federal officials and regulators are not the solution. As Sinclair Lewis once said: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.” People in power have been bought, in ways both obvious and subtle, and they have a hard time understanding that we―all of us―are at the eleventh hour, with a food system so dysfunctional it is poisoning both people and planet. Read More