New Mexico Organic Farming Conference: February 20-21, 2015

Flower_Conference

By Joanie Quinn, New Mexico Department of Agriculture, Organic Program

The Executive Director of the Rodale Institute, “Coach” Mark Smallwood, will headline this year’s New Mexico Organic Farming Conference to be held February 20-21 at the Albuquerque Marriott Pyramid. Read More

Cold and Flu Remedies

garlic_cold

Don’t get caught! Start this new year off strong by taking extra care of your immune system. Whether you’re in search of a new healing tea or the perfect homeopathic remedy, your Co-op Health and Wellness department has everything you need to keep winter bugs at bay or lessen their severity. Here are some ideas for herbs, homeopathic medicines, and great super foods that can help heal and prevent winter ailments. Please ask our knowledgeable HBA staff at any Co-op location for more information; they will happily answer any questions you might have!
Read More

How (and why!) to Shop the Co-op—Getting the Best Value For Your Food Dollars

how-to-shop-co-op

By Robin Seydel

My mother always said, “you get what you pay for.” Passing decades have seen an erosion of that understanding and a fascination with all things “cheap.” Not only “cheap” food, but cheap oil, cheap clothes, cheap everything. The resulting economic (rural decline and outsourcing of jobs), environmental (pollution from particulate to pesticidal ) and public health problems (cancer, diabetes, obesity and heart disease) are making the true cost of “cheap” ever so clear. Despite societal attitudes and slick corporate marketing that in many cases would have us believe the opposite, it’s clear that Mom was and is still right. Read More

Recipe: Chipotle Almond Truffles

Chipotle Almond Truffles

These creamy truffles have a subtle, smoky bite from the chipotle powder. If a more fiery chocolate is desired, add up to 1/2 teaspoon additional chipotle powder. Regular chili powder can be used as well.
Read More

Veteran Farmer Project Update: Moving the Farm and Upcoming Classes

vet_farmer

By Robin Seydel

Our Thanks!

As many of you have noted, we have packed up and are in the process of moving our farm. We had three wonderful years downtown between Gold and Silver and 1st and 2nd Streets thanks to our good friends, Rick Renne and all the staff at the Downtown Action Team. In large part, the success of this project is thanks to their ongoing support, and I know I speak for all our participants when I express my deepest heartfelt thanks. Read More