24th Annual Celebrate the Earth Festival

Baila! Baila! 2013 Earth Day

24th Annual Celebrate the Earth Festival

Sunday April 27, 10am to 6pm

On Silver Street Behind the Coop in the Nob Hill Shopping Center

For two dozen years it has been our great pleasure to create a community celebration that, in keeping with the cooperative principle of community education and concern for community, provides an opportunity for us all to come together. The 24th Annual Celebrate the Earth Festival in Nob Hill is a chance to: get your bedding plants; talk to and learn from the farming and gardening experts in our midst; get educated on the important environmental issues we face; get active and take action to make our community and the world a better place for us all to share.

As always, you can expect a fun and inspiring time filled with information and education booths from dozens of environmental, social and economic justice organizations, local farmers, seedlings, drought resistant plants, beautiful art from fine local artists and crafts people, inspiring performances from some of our favorite local artists and of course great Co-op food.

For more info on the event contact Robin Seydel at robins@lamontanita.coop or at 217-2027.

Co-op Connection News for March, 2014

2014-03-ccn

Co-op Connection News

March, 2014

In this issue we get things growing! We introduce you to the Family Farmer Seed Co-op, provide gardening tips and inspiration, and let you know about some great upcoming workshops. In addition, find refreshing and warming soups in our recipe section. And, now you can get many of the Co-op Connection articles on our Community blog!

Coop Collaboration: Healthy Food at SF’s Gonzales Elementary

2014-03-CC_Garbanzo

From Cooking With Kids. 

For the past seven years, La Montanita Coop has supported the Cooking with Kids program at Gonzales Elementary Public School with the ingredients necessary for the program. It is near and dear to our heart that the children who go to the school next door to the Coop location in Santa Fe have this important opportunity.   Seven times a year, the Coop funds a Cooking with Kids unit that teaches, feeds and touches every child at the school.

The Cooking with Kids program teaches children the importance—and joys, of eating healthy foods and how to prepare them. It also links math, science and cultural awareness and cooperative skills to the process of cooking a meal and sharing it with their classmates.  All children at the school share in the opportunity.

In February, Gonzales Cooking with Kids classes enjoyed the following meal. Thanks to Cooking with Kids for sharing this recipe. AND THANKS TOO, for helping our community kids learn and appreciate healthy food.

Middle Eastern Falafel, Flatbread, and Tomato Cucumber Salad

Serves 4 to 6

In Middle Eastern countries, falafel is made from garbanzo beans and spices, shaped into

balls or patties and deep-fried. It is a popular form of street food, often served wrapped in

thick pita breads. These falafel patties are made on a griddle, using much less oil. Children

can help mash the chickpeas and form the falafel into the patties.

Falafel

2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

3 tablespoons lemon juice

2/3 cup finely chopped parsley

2 green onions, thinly sliced

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1/8 teaspoon cayenne

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

1 egg

1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil

1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon unbleached white flour

Olive oil for griddle

Make the falafel

Put the drained and rinsed garbanzo beans into a bowl. Use a potato masher to completely mash the beans. Stir in the lemon juice. Add the parsley and green onions to the mashed garbanzo beans, stirring well. Then add the salt, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, and thyme. Add the egg and olive oil and mix until well combined. Stir in the flour. Form the falafel mixture into patties about ½ inch thick and 2 inches in diameter. Heat a griddle to medium-high heat. Spread about 2 teaspoons of olive oil evenly over the surface. Cook the patties for about 3 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through.

Yogurt sauce

1 cup plain, low fat yogurt

2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, minced

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

In a bowl, stir together the yogurt, mint, salt, and pepper. Serve as a dipping sauce for falafel patties.

ESSENTIAL OILS: Effective Tools for Health

2014-03-CC_EssentialOils

By Amylee Udell

Essential oils are natural extracts from plants’ flowers, seeds, roots, bark, and stems.  They make flowers smell the way they smell AND they give plants protective qualities against disease and predators.  When I first heard about aromatherapy, I thought it a little much to think you could just smell something and have it heal you.  While inhaling essential oils CAN affect you, I learned that it’s more than just the odor. It’s the actual plant constituents that are able to enter your cells that make it effective.

Well, that sounds great a plant based, more natural approach to healing.  But for a long time I hesitated. First, I can’t make essential oils at my house and that is what I consider ideal. I can (conceivably) make my own bread or granola, grow my own sprouts, render my own cooking fat, create my own salves and herbal teas and tinctures.  Concentrating the oils of plants seemed a somewhat involved process during which the natural properties could be altered and even damaged.  Second, the “magic bullet” reductionist approach to health is counter to holistic health.  In the search for the one chemical or one molecule that will cure our ailment, we often miss the forest for the trees.  Yes, it’s easier to take a pill than change a lifestyle but it’s the lifestyle changes that will truly improve our health. Isolating the essential oil of a plant and then just “taking” it with no thought to underlying issues didn’t sit well with me.

While I still think these are valid points to consider, I have been won over ( within reason!) to the wonder of essential oils.   First, they’re a great “gateway” remedy for those just beginning to explore more natural options in healthcare. And that’s BECAUSE of my “magic bullet” doubt. Additionally, as my kids get older and sometimes wince at mom’s “weird” remedies, rubbing some oil on feet or wrists is easy and doesn’t taste bad, so they’ve been very receptive. Next, I love having EOs when my family travels. I love my herbs, but dragging several bags of herbs and herbal blends for “just in case” situations takes up a lot of space and can possibly attract weird looks during airport security checks.  With EOs, I am able to bring my most likely candidates in very small bottles.  Plus, I can administer them very easily with no special equipment.  Last, I’m not abandoning my herbs and whole foods lifestyle, which is more powerful and lasting in terms of healthcare. I use these to support that lifestyle and give an extra boost when needed.

So what are some of my travel go-to oils and “extra boosts?”  I’ll list a few but there are so very many to explore.

Lavender– Lavender  is probably the most famous oil, smells divine and from that comes it’s ability to calm and ease anxiety.  It also has antimicrobial properties and can heal and soothe cuts, bruises, burns and rashes, as well as internal infections, as well as to help ease growing pains and assist sleep during the disruptions of travel.

Lemon- Lemon oil is cleansing and disinfecting for your body, your clothing and other items.   It cuts through greasy and gummy messes.  I love citrus and find it uplifting. I put a drop in my water bottle when I travel to keep my bottle clean but also for overall immune boosting and digestive help.  Lemon is also one of the less expensive oils!

Digestive blend – One of our most common travel issues is digestive upset due to restaurant food, overeating, too many sweets and generally being off-balance.  You can make or purchase a digestive blend and I do not travel without ours.   I put a drop in my water at the restaurant prophylactically, rubbed some on my kids’ tummies when things are moving too quickly or too slowly or if there are gassy stomach aches.  My blend contains ginger, peppermint, fennel, coriander, anise and more. You might find just one of those works for you.

Immune blend – There are so many immune boosting oils.  Some popular blends include clove, cinnamon, citrus, and rosemary.  Other popular immune helpers and antimicrobial EOs include lavender, oregano, thyme and tea tree.   I bring an immune blend with me when I travel for cuts and sores, colds, stomach bugs and anything else I don’t want to think might hit.  It also provides that extra layer of protection that comes just having it with me: If I bring it, I won’t need it!

Using Essential Oils

You can use essential oils in several ways.  You can take your oil internally by placing a few drops under your tongue or in water, as well as in capsules.  Topically, you can apply many oils directly to your skin, where it will be absorbed quickly.  Some oils may need a carrier oil like almond or coconut, as the oil might sting or burn.  Youngsters usually appreciate a carrier oil for their delicate skin.  I apply EOs to my children’s feet. In addition to being delivered right into their systems, what ailment isn’t helped some by a loving foot rub?  EOs are also great to add to your lotions and salves.  To take oils aromatically, rub a few drops on your palms and inhaling from there.  You can also buy a diffuser to dissipate the oil in your home.  This is a great way to clean the air of bacterial and viruses. Finally, you can cook with your oils. Peppermint, oregano, lemon and more can add a great flavor boost. Be careful, though, as a little goes a long way.

A few final precautions:  just like herbs, these can be effective and powerful. Some oils and herbs should not be used indefinitely. Don’t hesitate to ask questions.  Most proponents of EOs insist that you make sure your oils are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade. This will ensure the highest quality and purity of your oil and the best results overall.  As with your food and other remedies, take some time to find out where the plants are sourced and how they are treated after harvesting.  I know people that use EOs to treat carpal tunnel, ADHD, hormone imbalances and more.  As with all medical issues, consult your healthcare provider to see if and how EOs might support your treatment.  For common seasonal ailments and everyday scrapes and bruises, EOs are a great addition to your medicine cabinet. Their cost is reasonable up front and very low over time as you need but a few drops per use.

So come by your local La Montanita to take a few whiffs and see what oils might be useful to you and your family.

Amylee Udell, mother of three homeschooled girls, is often found in her kitchen whipping up delectables and avoiding housework.  She works part time with a small non-profit and loves NM. Contact her at previouslyinspired@gmail.com

The Gallup Co-op

2014-03-CC_Gallup

General Manager’s Column

It can be easy for those who live in Albuquerque and Santa Fe to not give much thought to our Gallup store. I dedicated myself several years ago to Gallup and committed to visit our location there twice a month. This allowed me to get to know the Gallup area, the people and all that is Gallup. Our store has struggled for years, never losing much money but never making much money either. Our quaint little downtown location served the community by providing our cooperative values and products in an area that needed them. Our Operations Manager, Bob Tero, and I tried every combination of retail magic we knew to assist this store. Slowly sales begin to rise; our losses slowly decreased. When I came to serve at La Montanita in 2008, the best sales week this small, 1,000 square foot store had enjoyed was just over $7,000. The sales week that ended February 9, 2014, our weekly sales was $19,242, a dramatic difference. The Gallup store also made a nice profit of $30,715 the fiscal year that ended August 31, 2013.

What happened in Gallup is no secret of retail operations.  Bob and I did put some structural and operational efficiencies into place, but our success in Gallup is due to the great staff that decided to make this small store the best it could be by serving the needs of our members/customers, providing service, and becoming a part of the community.

I officially want to thank Michael Smith, our Store Team Leader, and our staff of Sydney Null, Loreal Wilson, Myles Lacayo and John Philpott. The efforts of this staff have transformed our Gallup location into a thriving downtown store front. What a fantastic success story; once again the co-op model has proven itself the preferred business model.

My thanks to each and every one of you that supports La Montanita. Your co-op staff works hard every day to serve you, our member owners. Please let me know if I can ever be of service to you; my e-mail is terryb@lamontanita.coop or my number is 505-217-2020.

Terry