La Montanita Co-op’s Global Ends Policy
Over the years an increased awareness of good Co-op governance and community restoration and sustainablility has lead many organizations to re-think and re-name their mission and visions statements. Currently the Co-op uses what it calls our Ends Policies. These consist of a Global Ends Policy and a series of sub-ends policies. These policies are regularly re-assessed by the Board of Directors.
La Montanita Global Ends Policy is:
A cooperative community based in the shared benefits of healthy food, sound environmental practices and a strengthened local economy with results that justify the resources used.
Our Sub Ends are:
1. A thriving and sustainable local economy that benefits members and the community.
2. An environment that is conducive to the formation and success of coops.
3. A community based on trust and mutually beneficial relationships.
4. A community informed of the co-operative model, La Montanita’s values, and producer/consumer impacts on local and global health.
5. A growing, regenerative agricultural sector, able to meet local needs.
Cooperatives are based on the values of self-help, self-responsibility, democracy, equity and solidarity. In the tradition of their founders, cooperative members believe in the ethical values of honesty, openness, social responsibility and caring for others.
1. Voluntary and Open Membership
2. Democratic Member Control
3. Member Economic Participation
4. Autonomy and Independence
5. Education, Training and Information
6. Cooperation among Cooperatives
7. Concern for Community