Southwestern Tofu Scramble with Greens
From Adrienne Weiss
It’s the best parts of breakfast (or dinner) in a one pot dish: crispy potatoes, moist tofu, Southwestern spices and the fresh taste of tomatoes and avocados – all served over healthy, bright greens. This dairy-free version is packed with essential protein and calcium rich veggies. It is easy to prepare and is a real winner.
Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 small red potatoes, quartered
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, drained well
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt (available at East Indian markets or online) to give the dish its eggy taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large or 2 small plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4-6 cups kale or preferred greens
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
Put quartered potatoes in a small pot and cover them with cool water. Cover and parboil potatoes, about 5-7 minutes. Alternatively, you could place the potatoes in a bowl and microwave them for 4-5 minutes on high.
Heat oil in a large sauté pan on medium high. Transfer parboiled potatoes to the sauté pan and cook until browned, turning them halfway through.
When the potatoes are browned, add the scallions, onions and peppers to pan and cook, stirring until softened and tender, about 5 minutes. Crumble tofu into the pan and let it cook until slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
While tofu is cooking, prepare spice mixture. Add spices to pan, mixing them well with tofu and vegetables. The tofu should be yellow from the turmeric. Add water to pan and mix. The water helps incorporate the spices throughout the scramble and moisten the tofu. Turn off heat.
Add tomatoes to the scramble and mix in the cilantro. Transfer tofu scramble to a bowl.
Prepare greens in the same pan. If pan is dry, add a bit more oil. Over medium heat, add greens, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix well and add a few spoonfuls of water. Cover pan and cook until just wilted and bright green.
Arrange a layer of greens on plates. Layer tofu scramble on top of greens.
Top with sliced avocado and lime juice. Enjoy!